Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My New Obsession With Cake Decorating

Lately, I have been addicted to shows like Food Network's Cake Challenges, Ace of Cakes and TLC's Cake Boss. I am in complete awe of how these people can make these huge works of art with cake and since I've started watching these shows I have learned the difference between fondant, gumpaste, modeling chocolate, royal icing, ganache, etc. Anyway, I became inspired; I love using my hands and being creative so I decided to try my hand at cake decorating.

I decided that I would make FONDANT (a smooth icing that is used to cover cakes)...not to mention I always wanted to know what it tasted like. It turns out that many people don't like the taste of regular fondant not to mention the recipe calls for things like glycerin of which I had none and didn't feel like searching for in Walmart. So there is a marshmellow recipe online that many people prefer - I also ended up finding a video tutorial which was good because it gave me confidence.

RECIPE:
  • 1 bag of mini marshmellows
  • 1 can of crisco (to oil your hands and the work-surface)
  • 1 tspn of water
  • 1 bag of powdered sugar ( I only used half of the bag)
After I had all of my ingredients ready and my counter was sanitized and prepped with Crisco (trust me, the Crisco is necessary!) I popped the marshmellows into the microwave in 30 second increments until they were melted...I stirred 'em and then poured it into my little mountain of powdered sugar.


I kept kneading it into a little ball...

And then I stored it into a baggie so that it won't get hard because tomorrow I will separate it into a few smaller bags and begin dying.

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment